Friday, April 17, 2009

How I plan to change the world...

I've realized that in some ways, my blog has become a summary of my life. Not a bad thing really, but maybe not exactly what I set out to do. I'd like to make an attempt to steer it back to where it started - not as a space to share everything I do with my time - but more of a place to showcase the exceptional things in an effort to inspire people who read this, or maybe just to inspire myself...

Maybe both?

Anyway. Some notes about the past week and a half...

- I purchased a gym/pool pass... weird right? Great deal though - and with that in hand, I have been swimming regularly for the past month or so - 4 to 5 times each week. And in swimming before work - I am slowly becoming more of a morning person, which is cool too - or, maybe not cool - it's just a change for me, and I welcome change with open arms these days. I want to start working in gym days - but I'll need a bit of guidance there, as me and weight lifting don't know each other too well...

- Lou and I went snowshoeing on Monday. Awesome! Not awesome is the fact that the mountains are closed now...


- I have decided to write a book. This is something I have thought about for a while - years maybe. I have never really given it some serious thought though, and I plan to change that. I don't know what kind of book I will write - but I know I have a lot of ideas and I am hoping that I can take the idea behind this blog and adapt it somewhat. A collection of ideas aimed at inspiring people to change the way they think and live. Not that I have the answers to everything, I just think I have taught myself to have a pretty good and positive outlook on life, and more people might benefit from something like that... I'll do my best to keep this up to date with the progress - but keep in mind that this is not something that I intend to do soon. Either way, I will keep you posted.

Your Homework:

For anyone who reads this and has 2 hours and $12 dollars to spare - go see 'One Week' - great movie, amazing ideas, lots of inspiration. And on a similar note - rent 'Heartlands' - or buy it, as it may be hard to find at a video store.

My Homework:

I have been considering an idea for a few weeks now - where I would do something each day that is of no immediate benefit to myself, but that might help someone else - ideally a stranger. I know that this might sound strange - and that I might provoke some indifferent reactions to the random acts of kindness - but I think the world needs more of that. Maybe I will buy someone a flower. Or a sandwich. Or maybe I will wait extra long to hold the door for someone. I just know that I want each act to be independent of the others, and I want it to be spontaneous, not planned at all.

I can recall a time when I was young, and I was at the corner store buying candy after school. There I witnessed a lady who was told she owed 12 dollars in late fee's on her video rental - and upon hearing this, she began to cry. Clearly, she wasn't upset about the video rental or the fact that she couldn't afford to pay the late fee, or about the fact that she didn't even have time to watch to movie, which came out between sobs... it was something far more real than that. Looking back, I wish that at that in that moment, I would have offered to pay the fine for her. Maybe it wouldn't have done anything. But maybe that small and seemingly insignificant interaction could have made things better for her somehow...

See, we can never be sure how our actions will effect the people around us. We can assume though, that positive actions will be rewarded by the same - and at some point in time, that positive energy will come back to us. Call it karma, or 'paying it forward', or whatever else you like - and believe that it is real, because it is...