Monday, April 6, 2009

When you're sitting in the Strawberry Swing...

A three day weekend is always a good thing!

I didn't plan on it, but presented with the opportunity to take Friday off as well, I did so, and gladly I might add.

I wasted my Friday, in one sense... being that I did almost nothing. But - I needed that I think. A day to rest my brain, and update my iPod - which was much needed also...

I have been sick all week, mildly though. Still trying to shake it off, so the extra day to rest helped hopefully.


We've finished up the first level of our Lindy Hop lessons. Now, onto 'Advanced Beginner'. It feels like we are actually dancing now...almost! It's kind of funny - looking back a year, or two or three... I don't think I would have ever imagined myself in swing lessons, much less enjoying it! Life changes a lot, and quickly sometimes...

And continuing in my pursuit to stay active - today was a good day! Lou and I walked for a while in the trails at Pacific Spirit Park near UBC. And tonight we went to the pool for our Sunday night swim. I also bought runners today - only of particular interest due to the fact that I have not owned or worn a pair of legitimate running shoes in 12 years or so. I went through high school gym class in skate shoes!

I spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about how spoiled the world has become. I guess my pal Louis CK prompted a lot of this introspection... but he is so right in the things he says in the video I've posted below. As a group of people, we (human kind) are fucking shitty. We are disrespectful and ignorant. We do what we want, and we give little thought to what effects it will have. And all the while, we take for granted how amazing our world is. I am hesitant to elaborate. Partly because I'm not sure I have the words in my sleepy state, and partially because I don't want to sound too preachy. But shit - we need to stop being so ridiculous. The world we live in is pretty amazing, even when considering the simplicities. The ability for trees to bloom in the spring. Think about that shit for a while. It's amazing really...

I won't get too far into the rant right now, because I can feel it coming off as a negative thing. But really, I am just pushing myself to appreciate and enjoy things more. And I think that in doing so, I am noticing more how ignorant and shitty some people can be. Nobody in particular really, just people in general...

So. I don't know. Take a minute to enjoy the world. Each day if you can. Just stop and find enjoyment in something you can see or hear. Find inspiration in something simple - something that you pass by each day, but don't take the time to notice or appreciate. I think that if we could all do this, things in the world might just begin to fall into place a little easier...