Thursday, June 19, 2008

Helping People...

So. Today is my birthday. Usually a fairly uneventful day for me. Today has been good though. A lot of birthday wishes have come my way, and its not even half over yet. Robbie even made me a card and taped it to the door of my work this morning along with a slew of balloons. That made my morning!

Something happened yesterday though, that really moved me, and that it what I want to share with you right now.

There is a fellow named Loni that frequents the plaza where I worked. I don't know for sure if he is homeless or not, but I would assume so. We have been helping him out for some months now, actually, perhaps years, as he used to come around when Norm owned the restaurant. Anyway, he pops in from time to time, and we have him what pop bottles and cans we have accumulated. I have always felt like there is something that sets Loni aside from most other homeless people you might come across. He is always extremely polite. He waits in the lobby until all the customers have been helped before letting us know he is there. He often brings in what change he has saved up to buy a drink or something to eat, when money is good of course. It's as if the hard times in which he lives his life have strengthened his moral values. He hasn't become cynical or jaded like most do, but has become more appreciative and thankful for everything people do for him.

When I can, I try to hook him up with lunch, if I've got food to spare. I did so yesterday when he came by for the bottles. He did his usual tip of the hat, while he touched his chest, showing me his gratitude, and he was off. Only yesterday, he returned a few minutes later, and handed me a note. I've posted it below.

It's nothing too profound, but the simple fact that he took the time to write that and bring it to me meant a hell of a lot. There, on that paper, is solid proof that going out of your way for another person really can have an effect on their life. That display of gratitude was that best (early) birthday present I could have asked for.