Monday, March 30, 2009

One Year - No Booze - It's Official...

It's been a year... and I figure I should give this topic some exclusivity as, in reality, it has been the most drastic change I have made in the last 365 days.

It's kind of funny when you don't drink. Sometimes people are surprised. Sometimes people are almost insulted. I wonder how it came to that? When declining an offer to drink has the ability to piss someone else off - make their entire night less enjoyable even. Strange times we are living in... strange times.

Anyway - I guess I can sum the whole thing up with 2 main points which should hopefully provide sufficient insight into the reasoning behind my choice to eliminate 'the drink' from my life - at least for a while...

One - The majority of the things in my life that have caused me feelings of affliction, have been a result of alcohol. I wouldn't go back and change any of those happenings, for, it is those things that have really helped to shape the person I am today.. We make mistakes now and again, some worse than others, but, the hope is that we will learn from these mistakes. Whether they are mistakes that we have had to face head on, or ones that we can sort of sweep under the rug, so to speak, we still have to face them, some way or another. I just came to realize that I had done things that way for long enough - and I needed a break. A period of true clarity in my life...

Two - I was beginning to realize that when I went out drinking, I generally did the same thing. Over and over. In the end, it just was not fun anymore. And really, what is fun about going out to a loud place where you don't know anyone; where you can't sit comfortably or hear your friends talk; where, more than likely, some douche will give you that, 'I am going to try to fight you at some point tonight' kind of look - whether he tries or not is a different story I suppose. And on top of all this, your night will likely end with you spending way more money than you can afford to, all by the magic of a small plastic card you keep ever so conveniently in your wallet, for nights 'just like these'. And then you lose your friends during your exit from the bar, only to be left downtown alone, with a dead cell phone, and no other means of contacting anyone - so you wander around until you find a bus stop, where, during your wait for a bus that is not coming, a homeless woman offers to pleasure you orally in the nearby alley way. Following your decline of said homeless woman's offer, you realize that your bus is not coming, nor would it even take you remotely close to home if it were coming, and you manage to wave a cab down, whose driver feels sorry enough for you to drive you home. A $40 dollar cab ride later, and you are walking the 2 blocks to your house, vomiting at 20 foot intervals in the middle of the road - all because you were too drunk to realize that you weren't actually at your house when you told the cab driver to stop and let you out.

And then you spend the next day feelings like shit.

Sounds fun right?

Well, that explains it... And I think more people could use a break really - because I don't think I am the only person who can relate to those two aforementioned statements... That's not to say that I think everyone should stop drinking, or that drinking is a bad thing per se... I just think that more people could benefit from a little time spent in the clear, ya know? Some time spent without distraction, or regret, or embarrassment, or hangovers - some time to figure out who you really are, and who you really want to be. I can say without a doubt that I have experienced more personal growth, on so many different levels, than ever before in the last year of my life. And some of the changes I made have lead me to great things. To new jobs and back old jobs. To financial stability (investments, and RRSP's, and money to burn!). To better health. To organization. From travel aspirations, to booked flights. And to the best girl in the world, who I found on a mountain top... actually.

So try it. Or don't. You decide...