Sunday, March 1, 2009

7 weeks behind...

I have been terrible at keeping this up to date - though sometimes, as it has in the past, life just gets too busy. That, or sometimes I just get too lazy.

The 7 weeks since my last post have all been excellent. Stressful at times, but I think that stress has a unique ability to bring relaxation and contentment in its wake.

Work tends to take up most of my time, as it has for the last year and a half of my life. Weeks fly by however - and while some weeks seem to get to me more than others, I can finally see things moving towards where I have been trying so hard to move them. New staff - and good new staff at that - hopefully the schedule will come together well and without issue. Taylor is working out well - picking it up quickly.

I haven't seen Loni in a week or so. He owes me 30 bucks, which sometimes I wonder if I will ever get back, and other times I assure myself that it doesn't really matter, and that in reality, he needs the money more than I do. Loni, is my (quasi-homeless) friend who frequents the plaza where I work, and comes to me looking for odd jobs, recyclables, and loans. I deliver when I can. He also built me a bicycle once, upon learning that mine was stolen. He is a good man, down on his luck. I guess sometimes in life, you just dig yourself a hole just a little too deep. I know he can see life on the outside - he's told me that he can - he just can't quite get himself out. It's funny, the way that he will do his best to return what I give to him. Most times, he does come up with the cash, if it is the loans we are referring to. Other times, he brings gifts - usually in the form of new bikes, hoping that one day, he will bring me something I can actually ride. Other times, its flowers to give to Lou. Regardless, he makes good on his word, to the best of his abilities - and that is definitely more than you can expect from most individuals in situations similar to his.

I've purchased my first RRSP's. I've yet to invest them - but they are holding in an RSP savings account until I can decide how I want to invest the money. It's all too complicated and new to me I guess - makes it difficult to choose which investments I want to make, when I know so little about the difference between them. A little confusing, but awesome in that the $10,000 tax write off has a $3,000 tax return coming my way in 2 weeks time.

Swing dancing has started, though I guess I haven't touched on that yet. For Lou's birthday, I signed us up for swing dance lessons. I'll preface this by saying that I don't dance - though I believe that deep down, I do have the ability. First lesson was good, interesting, but good. I think I am getting the hang of the basics - but it would be nice to get to dance with Lou more (being that they are constantly rotating partners).

And now, to the big news of the past few weeks.

As of August 17th, 2009 - I will be gone. We fly out first to Tokyo for one week, then onto Thailand. We will travel Thailand for 3 weeks by land, then make our way through Cambodia for 1 week, and spend the final 2 making our way up through Vietnam to Hanoi. On October 3rd, we fly from Hanoi to Brisbane, where we will be until November 22nd. Following our time in Australia, we will fly to Singapore for 5 days before returning to Vancouver. After that, its off to the UK.

It all feels real, finally. And I couldn't be more excited, or more ready to leave home for a while.



Next on the list:

- Vaccinations for travel.
- Purchase travel insurance.
- Learn to play 'Lost' by Coldplay on the piano.
- Get rad at swing dancing.