Sunday, January 4, 2009

Coney Island...

I am in the market for a new camera...

I intend to purchase a Digital SLR camera in the coming months, so that I might have the ability to take some half decent pictures while I travel the globe. Thanks to the insight of a friend named Joe, I have become enthralled by the potential to get into HDR photography. It's funny, because I usually prefer things as they are. To find art in something untouched. But as of late, I have seen some exquisite photography done using the principles of HDR - and I am sold. Completely. While I can understand that it has its place - I think, as far as scenery & architecture photography is concerned, it is magical. It makes the shots so much more vivid - as if you could almost climb inside them. I want to perfect this art before I leave, as I intend to leave each country I visit with at least one HDR shot worthy of printing and framing upon my return.

While I have some research to do - as well as the collection of some of them "book learnin' smarts" - I have my eye (and mind) somewhat set on the Nikon D80. Affordable, and from what I have seen, it takes some awesome pictures... while in reality I know very little about camera's at all - it seems like it might be a starting point that will do well for me.

In the mean time - I have spent some time messing about on Photoshop. I read a few tutorials on the ability to mimic HDR using CS2 and any regular digital image.

I may have strayed a little from simply mimicking HDR - but I came up with what I think are some pretty sweet results! Have a look!

In other news, I have decided to make a resolution that relates directly to this blog. When I began last May, my intention was to post each day. This ambitious task became unrealistic - to the point where I rarely posted at all. I have given it some thought and will make Sunday's my official 'blog day'. It's a realistic goal I think - and I like the idea of continuing to push myself to express ideas and what not. I figure a weekly push might keep things consistent!