Saturday, May 17, 2008

Good Friends.

So, I guess this one is a make up post for the one I missed yesterday.

Friday wasn't a bad day, side from being pretty sick... I had to wake up extra early to help my dad with somethings, so I hit the bike for a while before work. I really woke me up! Made for a much easier start to my work day...

The show we played last night was a bit of a joke. Cody did well on drums however, given the amount of time he had to learn our songs and get it all together. Keenan and I took our pants off in an effort to 'out naked' Dan Ball and Acres Of Lions. We took each others pants off actually...while playing. I didn't feel like the show was a great representation of our band and music in the end, but I don't think that the show itself was a very good representation of a 'show' either. I think I've grown very tired of what most people feel being in a band is about. It is a little trying when you have no choice but to associate with a large amount of people whom, when it comes down to it, have no real idea who you are or what you stand for, nor do they really have the desire to find these things out.

Last night was an exception however. We played with Acres Of Lions - Jeff and Dan's new band - who are all equal in sincerity and all around sweetness. We met Jeff and Dan for the first time 4 years ago or so, in Revelstoke B.C. Their band was, at that time, called Destined For Nothing, and they played a mean Taking Back Sunday cover if memory serves... The show that night was more of a joke than the show last night, and the party to follow was equally ridiculous; but the friendship that formed that night has brought all of us back together over and over again over the years.

After 4 years of constant touring, and trips taking us from BC, to Nova Scotia, to California, Texas, New York, and everywhere in between - I can literally count the number of 'good' friends I have made on two hands. Jeff and Dan do, and will always be two of those raised fingers. The things we have done mean nothing, and bragging rights don't exist when we are with those guys. They make music for the same reason we have always made music... because it is fun. I heard Keenan say that the highlight of last night for him was hanging out in the park, playing catch, and sippin' on pil's for those who were so inclined. It really was though. The show was fun, don't get me wrong. But there is an amount of obligation when you are playing a show to be one of those guys in that band. The obligation doesn't capture me like it once did, but it doesn't ever really go away. The things I will catch myself saying to people make me laugh sometimes. I am playing the game, regardless of my wishes not to do so. I think that the fact that I can recognize this must count for something though. I just know that when I spend time with people like Jeff and Dan, and when I am with the rest of my band and everyone is in good spirits, that the idea of giving it all up scares me a lot more than it does at other times. I think that topic would be a blog of it's own however.

I've strayed a little from my point though. So back on track we go. What I wanted to conclude was that nothing can tarnish a genuine connection between people. Not time, not disagreement, not anything. When we see Dan and Jeff, there is no bullshit. It is just good times. A year could pass before we see them again (though their relocation to Victoria makes our meetings ever more frequent) - but when we do see them, everything feels the same. We have created a friendship with them based around our most honest and unfeigned selves, and the way I see it, the person who you 'really' are never changes, you just spend life coming into yourself even more. Much the same as Matt's trip to Australia - after a year - our reunion was anything but exciting. In a good way though. He had done some cool stuff, I had done some cool stuff, and a year had passed. But as soon as he arrived back home, everything went back to normal. Stories we shared of course, but, Matt and I are the same person in a lot of ways, and I think we spent that year becoming ourselves even more. After he got back, there was really nothing to do but pick up where we left off, like we didn't even skip a beat. And...I guess we didn't.

In summary. I challanged myself to a pre-work bike ride. Felt great. I also have recognized a lot about genuine friendship. I think it is important to think about from time to time. We must always reflect upon ourselves and our relationships, taking note of which ones need work, which ones can be set aside, and which ones need preservation. Those that need work, must be tended to. Those that can be set aside, should be set aside, though perhaps not forgotten. And those that need preservation have already found it through the genuine connection between two souls. In their sincerity, they will preserve themselves.

Now, I'm off to go hiking with Cody Beer. Guess what my next post will be about?